Guidelines for Underwriting Announcements on WPKN
WPKN 89.5 FM is a noncommercial community radio station licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). When our listeners hear underwriting messages on WPKN, they know that the business or nonprofit supports WPKN, its ideals, and its mission. In return for that support, we provide information that lets our listeners learn about your organization, your goods and/or services, or information about concerts or other special events you are organizing.
However, these underwriting messages differ from commercials in many important ways, and the guidelines are determined by the FCC and must be adhered to by all forms of non-commercial broadcast media.
We will work with clients to craft announcement copy that is compliant with FCC guidelines and station policy. In this way, the special integrity of the relationship between the station and its listeners extends to the underwriter as well.
Announcements on WPKN-FM:
- Are thirty seconds in length (approximately 75 words)
- Are voiced by WPKN staff announcers. We can never use preproduced announcements.
- Do not use music beds.
- Are subject to approval by WPKN management.
Announcements on WPKN-FM can include:
- A standard opening line, such as “Support for WPKN comes from [your business or non-profit]”
- Your organization’s name
- The location of your organization
- Your phone number and/or internet address
- Value-neutral descriptions of your business, products, services, and/or events
Sample announcements that meet all guidelines:
- Support for WPKN comes from XYZ of Westport, offering x, y, and z since 1970. XYZ is open from 9 am to 6 pm, Monday through Saturday. More information by phone at 203-555-5555 or online at: www.XYZ.com.
- Support for WPKN comes from XYZ, a weekly newspaper published in XXX, providing southern Connecticut with community news since 1985.
- Support for WPKN comes from XYZ Organization in New Haven, presenting a night of jazz with ABC in concert on January 1 at 8 p.m. Ticket information at xyz.org. XYZ is a non‐profit organization.
- Support for WPKN is provided by XYZ, presenting ABC artist/performer, Wednesday, August 22nd. info @ XYZ.com.
- Support for WPKN is provided by XYZ Pizza. Serving pies since 1965 with locations in New Haven, Fairfield, and Norwalk. More information by phone 203-555-5555 or online at www.xyz.com.
Per FCC guidelines, announcements may NOT include:
- Qualitative or comparative language (“best,” “greatest,” “most reliable,” “oldest,” “largest,” etc.)
- Subjective language (“fun-filled,” “enjoyable,” “long-awaited,” “by popular demand,” etc.)
- Calls to action (such as “call,” “stop by,” “e-mail,” “visit”; or other phrases prompting action)
- Pricing information (“Tickets are just $19.95,” etc.)
- Inducements to buy, sell, or lease (“Ten percent off for WPKN listeners,” “special gift,” “limited offer”)
- Credentials (“Grammy award-winning,” “Connecticut’s #1 restaurant”)
- Endorsements such as “recommended by Connecticut Post,” etc.
- Pronouns such as “you,” “your,” “our,” and “we” are not allowed in underwriting. All announcements are written in the third person.
- WPKN-FM will not air funding announcements that contain language advocating for any cause, group or individual.
- No announcements can be aired on behalf of political organizations, political candidates, or their committees.
- We reserve the right to refuse any request for underwriting that would violate an FCC rule or policy, violate station policies, or adversely affect the reputation or financial condition of WPKN FM.
For more information, contact Doug MacLeod at [email protected] or Anne-Marie Ryzak at [email protected] or 203-331-9756.