Here are some of the links and phone numbers you might have heard on the air on WPKN.
Connecticut Food Bank
A partnership to alleviate hunger
"The mission of Connecticut Food Bank is to provide nutritious food to people in need."
- About the CT Food Bank
- The Grow Truck: a food pantry on wheels for young children and their families. If you are interested in hosting the "GROW!" Truck at your early childhood program, contact Huwerl Thornton at 203-469-5000, or email email@example.com
- Where you can get help (food pantries, community kitchens and local out reach across the state)
- The mobile food pantry (It's like a book-mobile, with groceries!)
The CT Department of Social Services: ConneCT
Information food assistance is available at ConneCT as well as through 12 regional offices throughout the state
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly known as the Food Stamp Program) is a nutrition program that helps low-income individuals and families buy food.
You may be able to get SNAP benefits in 7 days if:
1. Your household's income is less than $150 per month and your household's assets are less than $100, or
2. Your rent and utilities are more than your monthly income before deductions, or
3. You are a migrant seasonal farm worker and your household's cash and money in the bank is less than $100.
Long Island Resources
Long Island Cares
Founded by the late Harry Chapin, Long Island Cares brings together nutrional resources to benefit the people on Long Island.
Mobile Outreach Resource Services (MORE)
Phone: 631-582-3663 (631-582-FOOD)
More Long Island pantries and kitchens
Buy Local Food
Support your local CT food economy by making the pledge to buy 10% CT Grown
Find local food products in NY at Pride of NY
There are farmers' markets everywhere!
Here's a few sources to find one in your area:
CT Department of Agriculture
The Long Island Farm Bureau
CT Chapter of the Northeast Organic Farming Association
City Seed, New Haven
Engaging and Connecting Communities through Local Food
- City Seed Online
- Phone: 203.773.3736
- All markets are open for the summer now.
Wooster Square - Saturdays, 9.00am - 1.00pm
Edgewood Park - Sundays, 10.00am - 2.00pm
New Haven Green - Wednesdays, 11.00am - 2.00pm
Quinnipiac River Park (Fair Haven) - Thursdays, 3.00pm-6.00pm
The Hill (CMHC) - Fridays, 11.00am - 2.00pm
- WIC, FMNP & SNAP
All of CitySeed's farmers' markets accept FMNP, Senior FMNP coupons, WIC CVV and SNAP (food stamps) benefits. Even better, Double Value for SNAP! gives folks double value for SNAP coupons at all of its markets on any SNAP eligible products and CitySeed will match up to $10 per day for additional fruits and vegetables.
| Home | About WPKN |